To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 9:53 AM
Subject: Re: [xmca] "higher psychic function"

On 13 February 2012 16:21, Colette Murphy <c.a.murphy@qub.ac.uk> wrote:

Hugh
Thanks a lot for your reasoning. May I just explain that I was worried
that 'higher psychic function' might sound too abstract and psychological
for many science educators (including myself). Thus, whilst your suggestion makes perfect sense, I fear that it may also suffer from being too abstract
/ psychological for my current purpose. Can you make it more concrete
perhaps?

Well it is more concrete, in the Marxian sense.

Really, I would say this hinges on your reference to "scientists".   If
they are scientists they should know, or not be shy of knowing, what a
homology (structural comparison) is.  That a term like mediation addresses
the phenomena as a scientific system, whereas 'higher' is indeed abstract
and removed (but familiar from the perspective of other psychological
theories).

If a term is introduced that is not familiar, then they're atleast made
aware that the subject may deal with unfamiliar things, rather than
assimilating them (in the Piagetian sense) to their current understanding.
So "Higher" may suffice, for some, from an outside perspective but it
points in inappropriate ways.  "Mediatory" is more precise but points to
the unknown, which is also truthful to their understanding.

Huw

Thanks a million
Colette

Dr Colette Murphy
Senior Lecturer
School of Education
69 University St
Queen's University
Belfast BT7 1HL

tel: 02890975953

“Why is it, in spite of the fact that teaching by pouring in, learning by
passive absorption, are universally condemned, that they are still so
entrenched in practice?”

         John Dewey Democracy in Education 1916, Page 46