Re: [xmca] The "mechanical OTHER" at the heart of Modernity

Hi David

I always appreciate your perspectives which require me to pause and think.
You wrote,

I see a text, which to me has the same relationship to a mind that a tool
has to a natural organ.

And when Blake rotates his Newton so that I am in the place once occupied
by Newton's compass, I feel that I am part of the picture--not part of a
machine (although I think I would prefer to be part of a machine than part
of a landscape, for the simple reason that I would prefer to live in a home
than in a cave). I feel I am part of  text, that is, part of an ongoing
dialogue, a discourse

David, you FEEL you are part of a text, that is part of an ongoing
dialogue, a discourse.  I PERSONALLY couldn't agree more with this feeling.
Vygotsky and Bahktin and others may also SHARE this feeling.
In fact, Newton himself, may also have had this relation to science.
However, is it possible that there is a modern "imago" [social imaginary]
that does NOT express this relation between science [as text] and mind??

In the same way that an earlier time in our culture expressed a living
imago with God at its center, is it possible that the wonderful USES of
science [as techne] have "colonized and generalized" beyond the realm of
techne to dominate phronesis [practical knowledge]
I agree with you that we should celebrate the wondeful advances in
technology that allow us to live in homes rather than caves.  I'm even
willing to consider the Enlightenment as emancipatory [for its time]
However, I also "read" Blake as seeing the POTENTIAL future of a time when
our USING our design knowledge in the service of phronesis would become
colonized by techne phronesis move into the shadows.

David, you may be USING science to further phronesis [and Vygotsky and
Bhaktin] and celebrating the design knowledge that modernity produces.
When I read about the birth of modern science [for example when Islam
transcribed ancient Greek texts and then elaborated further extensions of
this knowledge] I sense they were living within "texts" relating to "minds"
[as dialogical]

However, at the same time, as a cultural "imago" [scientism] as a dominant
mechanical imago  may be strangling phronesis which has to struggle for
vitality.  David, could your project be seen as breathing new life into
science and making it a VITAL HUMAN activity by returning it to its
grounding in "text"?

Larry