From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Larry Purss [lpscholar2@gmail.com]
Sent: 30 October 2011 16:55
To: ablunden@mira.net; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Lave and McDermott

I want to address one particular aspect of the article from page 282 on the
"methodology" that Lave & McDermott engaged in their analysis of schooling.
Williams wrote,

"This is a pure metaphoric analysis with the economy as the SOURCE and
education as the TARGET domain.... L & M call it a GENRE of translation,
but GENERATIVE metaphor is also close. Generative metaphor generally
benefits from a dialectic between source and target domains and is by no
means a one - way transfer of meaning."

L & M's  methodology therefore is a genre of translation or text analysis.
A hermeneutical process of interpretation of economic objects from one
domain transferred into another object domain of learning. This translation
process is attempting to generate insight into the contradictions between
two distinct aspects of economic narratives within the source domain
and translating this economic contradiction into  the narratives of USE and
the narratives of EXCHANGE [currency, credentials, grades, MEASUREMENTS,
etc] within educational discourse. This process of translation does point
to the DOMINANT metaphor [and myth] that has colonized our current
intersubjective relationships and generates a particular FORM of valuation
that alientates the person from their own needs [yearnings] and also puts
the person in a PARTICULAR form of COMPETITIVE intersubjectivity with
others. The fundamental value questions

"What do I owe the other?" &
"What do we owe the other?"

IS fundamentally a question OF VALUES. Epistemology and practice
[knowledgeability] become colonized by a single  mono LOGIC of EXCHANGE
VALUES that is like a black hole that gravitationally pulls all
alternative VALUE genres into its orbit.

I agree that this genre of USE and EXCHANGE contradictions does express the
DOMINANT genre of globalization, but is it monolithic?  Are there
alternative genres with alternative metaphors that can escape the orbit of
metaphors of exchange and explore alternative notions of value that answer
the question "What do I {we} owe  the other?" in ways that explore VALUES
that speak more directly to the yearnings of the heart as expressed by
Bellah in his book "Habits of the Heart". A value narrative that re-visions
the public sphere and "common ground" and needing to be VALUED in our
humanity as central to our notions of what we owe the other.

Williams article, in my reading, does capture the centrality of our current
arrangements of alienated labour but I want to explore alternative
narratives that IMAGINE relationships and a SOCIAL ETHIC that calls for
answers and responses in genres of dialogical communication [speech and
text and artifacts] that call for deepening our narratives of instrumental
USE values and EXCHANGE values into genres of dialogue and communication
within common ground.

I hope the Occupy Wall Street movement,  does not get locked into the
exchange genre of redistributing the 1% wealth to be more equally
distributive. This leaves the narrative in the realm of exchange values.
Can we possibly move the conversation to notions of "common ground" as a
fundamental re-visioning of the question "What do we owe the other?"

Schools are only one activity institution that needs to engage with this
re-visioning our SOCIAL ETHIC to move beyond exchange values. William's
article points to the challenges of moving beyond debt narratives [that is
now global] and may require vision [and "faith" as meaning making in a
future alternative] where we answer that what we owe the other is to build
places where the person's yearnings for fellowship and security are
recognized as best expressed within a radically new value genre.

Larry