Social Kindling Re: [xmca] Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

There's a post on a blog at the Chronicle of Higher Education on a new social networking feature of the Kindle ebook reader, at

http://chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/kindle-amazon-com-social-kindling/35319

( I don't know if you need a chronicle subscription to see this page -- I'm guessing that you probably don't, since it's a blog rahter than their own editorial content.)

Anyway, the blogger reports that he was unaware of this new feature before he got an automatic email message informing him that somebody had signed on as a follower of his kindle reading.

Apparently, there's something you do that gives other people access to follow you, but it's sort of like what happened to Carol on LinkedIn. There's a button you click because you think it's what you need to do to get to where you're trying to go, but you have inadertently invited your personal network to follow what you're reading. People following what you do on kindle will see not only what books you are reading, but also what text you have highlighted, what notes you have entered, etc.

Reportedly, some people are seeing this as a way for faculty to connect with their students. I don't want to see my students' notes and highlighting in their books -- not even the books their using in my class -- nor do I think I want them following me that way.

Will we next be tracking each other's eye movements, maybe with software to analyze that data? I suppose this could be synthesized with pulse and blood pressure readings. We could see whether our students were disturbed at the right times reading problematic texts (did they experience appropriate cognitive dissonance while reading Vygotsky on signs and tools on this page, after what they read in the chapter assigned before this one? What comments did they register in their margin notes?).

Even without the networking of identifiable readers, my Kindle is telling me now which sentences in the books I'm reading have been highlighted by how many other readers.

Maybe Thompson-Reuters could improve their impact index by including statistics on highlighting (and we could agree among ourselves to intensively highlight each other's publications).