Re: [xmca] Rey's call for a generative overflowing overlapping intertwining of the notion of "sense"

Huw, thanks for responding. I will add one quick comment.  When M-P is
exploring the intertwining of the carnal and the affective-volitional
tendencies as one aspect of the carnal he would agree it is representational
AND generative. Remember, his metaphor [shared with Bateson] of binocular
vision "sees" the representational and generative as chiasm. To get a "feel"
for the depth of the intertwining consider the way Vygotsky "sees" thought
and language intertwining.  Representatonal "seeing" and generative "seeing"
are a process of binocular seeing in "depth".  BOTH are fundamental in ways
similar to thought and language being fundamental but distinct.  However
what M-P explicity cautions us not to do is try to dissolve this
separation-difference into any form of "grounding" that collapses the
representational to living experience or collapses living experience to
representation.  M-P's master term "expressive cognition" explicitly
attempts to unwind the threads of representation and living experience in
his attempt to help us "see" the intertwining of the two distinct threads
[in a way that I see Vygotsky unwound the intertwining threads of thought
and language.]
In relation to Fernando Rey's article I think M-P's way of "seeing"
[intertwining the visible carnal and invisible minds eye] may be an approach
that can further unwind the threads of "sense" and "meaning" which Fernando
would suggest was the larger legacy of Vygotsky. Thought and language [as
aspects of the invisible "mind's eye"] can be incorporated into a larger
legacy.  Fernando pointing to the notion of "sense" is calling us to explore
the carnal generative thread of Vygotsky's intertwining.  Fernando suggests
this thread was more implicit and he suggests in the West we have lost sight
of Vygotsky's larger project.  As I read Fernando's invitation it is to
engage more explicitly with what has been relatively underdeveloped [at
least in the West].  I believe John Shotter is one author who is responding
to the direction Fernando is pointing.  If others do believe that the
intertwining of sense and meaning are more fully developed already, why are
they not responding.

I know soon the MCA journal will have a theme on "emotion" but the
conversation can begin now with Fernando's opening a space for discussion.

>From M-P's perspective, these questions are exploring an OVERFLOWING living
experience.