Re: [xmca] Rey's call for a generative overflowing overlapping intertwining of the notion of "sense"

On 19 July 2011 17:18, Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure how other's will reflect on Rey's article but I certainly
> felt
> at home while reading his expansion of Vygotsky's forgotten legacy. The
> entire article I read as an example of chiasm or ECART
> [separation-differentiation which is NOT opposition] Also the historical
> movement [motivation] BETWEEN the subjective and objective moments,
> reflective and generative moments, of his creativity/reflections is an
> EXAMPLE of chiasm.  The reversibility of these different [but intertwining]
> moments in Vygotsky's project that Rey so clearly articulates points to a
> much vaster and overflowing perspective on "psyche" as both subjective and
> objective.  Rey suggests Vygotsky's second moment, has become a reductive
> reification of his much larger project of locating the psyche and world in
> the realm of "sense"

Hi Larry.  Do you have a succinct definition for your use of chiasm here
please?  Are you referring, additionally, to the ability to compound various
separate images/functions?  E.g. Halliday's (Lang of Early Childhood)
reference to mathetic and pragmatic functions that, starting off static,
become dynamic and may be applied to each other?

In my reading of the article, I thought there was a few fundamental points,
or interpretations, made, but that this was over-baked somewhat by notions
of "abandoning ideas" and the treatment of subject and object seemed a bit
heavy handed too (perhaps a 2nd language for the author?).

Huw