[xmca] Lewin and Vygotsky

I don't think I ever actually suggested disestablishing MCA. For one thing, I'm not sure what that would mean. I know that Mike has sometimes expressed some nostalgia for the unreviewed days, and of course, as the proud recipient of six rejections and not a single "resubmit" from MCA reviewers, I can certainly see the advantages of open admissions.

Ironically, there's probably nobody else on this list as acutely aware, at this particular moment, of the advantages of a well established and respected journal as I am. Perhaps if I had been able to publish in MCA over the last decade I would be on holiday with the rest of you, instead of watching the monsoon rain bucket down here in Seoul because after ten years without a promotion I am at long last between jobs, and I am probably headed into a job that has nothing to do with Vygotsky and a lot to do with money.

As I see it, the problem with publishing in MCA (and also the problem with the voting) is really the same problem that poor Samuel Johnson had with the royal pension he received AFTER he published his best-selling dictionary (he complained it was like overturning in a small boat, swimming to shore in a tempest, crawling up the beach and getting hit in the head with a life jacket). It seems to benefit those who really don't need it very much, and it also seems to pass by people who are in need.

This isn't just bad for outsiders like me. I think it has a direct effect on what I would call the unpredictability factor of the journal. High impact factor journals tend to have predictable articles; you can pretty much reconstruct the whole article just by reading the abstract, looking at the refs, and maybe perusing the data in a minute. Unpredictable journals (and MCA in the early part of this century was definitely one) are the other way around; not only can you not predict the outcome of the article, you sometimes find that you can't predict the very next paragraph or sentence. Unpredictable journals demand that you read, and discuss, the article sentence by sentence.

That was why I got a little hot under the collar about the Poehner and Lantolf article we published and voted on and discussed. It was made of recycled data, it was written for a completely different audience, and it has very little to do with the discussion we were currently having. I think, though, people tend to vote for big names (and Lantolf is, rightly, a VERY big name), and I'm afraid our reviewers are not always as blind as they should be.

I would certainly not include Seth Chaiklin amongst those who do not write for this audience, and I wholeheartedly agree with Mike that the social engagement of CH/AT and action research is an important topic (and not, actually, irrelevant to the issue of how we help the outsiders in our circle, because a social movement which is not socially porous itself invariably transforms itself into an obstacle in development).

But I don't agree that xmca did not engage with Professor Chaiklin. Very early on in the discussion I raised what was (to me) a very troubling problem with the article. By positing a pre-existing category of socially-engaged research, Professor Chaiklin really robs the term of any radical content, and in fact when we see the various ways that Lewin really did socially engage, we notice that they were mostly about assisting the adventures of American imperialism in World War II.

By that standard, my father was involved in a much more ambitious and successful social intervention when he worked on nuclear weapons research during the war and immediately thereafter. To use a somewhat less personal example, Vygotsky's articles on fascism and psychoneurology become more important than his work on word meaning.

And I think it's Vygotsky's work on word meaning where we really see the difference between Lewin and Vygotsky. Zavershneva ("The Way to Freedom", JREEP 48 [1] p. 78) writes that Lewin was Vygotky's "most serious" opponent.  "The debate with Lewin became one of the main engines of Vygotsky's thought in the final years of his life".

It's certainly true that "Tool and Symbol" is full of Lewinian terminology (e.g. "field", "vector", "action", etc.) while "Thinking and Speech" is almost devoid of it. But with other thinkers, Vygotsky was able to (mis)appropriate their terms and fill them with his own content, to exapt their terminology. Why didn't he do this with Lewin?

I think he tries to do this in "Tool and Symbol" and it just doesn't work. At the end of Chapter Three, Vygotsky and Luria give three "rules" for the construction of "neoformations" (by which they mean the higher psychological functions in general).

First, they say they are non-additive and non-evolutionary in their construction (the example they give is the "cross" of counters, which the child first perceives as a whole, and then learns to decompose into an upright and two arms, and then into individual counters). This is, of course, a classic, Gestaltist analysis, but it means the word meaning is only involved at the very last step.

Second, they say that they are not imposed as a 'second storey' over the elementary functions, but represent a "unity of a higher order", and that this is equally true of the lower higher functions and the higher higher ones: mechanical imitation (they refer to experiments by Bozhovich and Slavina) and concept formation (Sakharov, Kotelova, and Pashkovskaya here). Again, this looks Gestaltist--but it goes completely against what Vygotsky will later argue about concept formation in Thinking and Speech, where he explicitly argues that concept formation is unique process which cannot arise until adolescence.

Thridly, they say that in the case of the degradation of functions, we discover the elementary functions still intact underneath them (experiments with aphasics are cited here). This seems consistent with Gestaltist assumptions about part-whole relatoins,b ut it also seems to directly contradict the first two rules, both because it DOES seem to suggest that the elementary functions are not permanently transformed by being incorporated into higher structures and because it DOES seem to imply that the higher functions are simply an additional layer, which can be removed by pathology. It certainly contradicts what Vygotsky would later write about the independence verbal thinking, once developed, from words.

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education