[xmca] Refocusing on a simple question. Does activity ground discourse

Hi Andy, David, [Anna, and others?]

I'm opening up another post to bring back Andy's "simple" question.  The
other post is speaking more specifically about Anna's position that thinking
IS communication and the focus of that post is on contrasting Anna's
grounding thinking in conversation as the source vs Davydov's grounding
thinking in scientific concepts as systems of meaning. On the other post I
do hope the specific question comparing & contrasting how Anna's
"procedural" approach grounded in  participating discourse, and Davydov's
specific "procedural" approach STARTING from the "system of meanings" are
complimentary or  different.  That post addresses the audience of teachers
and how to proceed in schools.

This post maybe could take a more theoretical focus on Andy's question about
"grounding" assumptions. Of course there will be overlap between the two
posts but Andy mentioned his real interest was not in the teaching of math
but rather the relation between activity and discourse.  In this post I hope
David's contrasting Vygotsky's earlier and later perspectives on activity
may be elaborated.

Andy, I hope this gives your question room to breath.

Larry