[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[xmca] Numbers - Natural or Real?
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: [xmca] Numbers - Natural or Real?
- From: Andy Blunden <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:52:54 +1000
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:email@example.com>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=unsubscribe>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
- User-agent: Thunderbird 184.108.40.206 (Windows/20090812)
I don't really have an opinion on this matter, but I would be interested
in listening in on those who may have an informed opinion.
I see two different approaches to the teaching of mathematics.
One takes the /Natural/ Numbers as the basic concept of the subject
The Other takes the /Rational/ Numbers as the basic concept of the
One takes /counting/ as the basic Action
The Other takes /comparison/ of two lengths as the basic Action.
One situates the basic Action within a /Discourse/
The Other situates the basic Action within /Activity/
One is represented by /Anna Sfard /(see
One is represented by /V V Davydov/ (eg
Now, I am not really interested in maths teaching, but I am interested
in the relation between Discourse Analysis and Activity Theory. It seems
to me that the two concepts, though different, are not at all
incompatible. Perhaps practical experience with these two approaches
would shed light on the relation between Discourse and Activity and how
it could be best reflected in theory?
Any thoughts my friends?
Joint Editor MCA:
Home Page: http://home.mira.net/~andy/
xmca mailing list