[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] Word Meaning and Action: What' Plausible branch?
- To: Vera John-Steiner <firstname.lastname@example.org>, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] Word Meaning and Action: What' Plausible branch?
- From: Tony Whitson <twhitson@UDel.Edu>
- Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2011 14:21:22 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In-reply-to: <9527AF36C5F846B79D582979A2CFECF8@barker1800xp>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <BANLkTi=o192LETUj0tLGmT2pSR3f58JBwA@mail.gmail.com> <9527AF36C5F846B79D582979A2CFECF8@barker1800xp>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a less-substantial (frivolous, maybe even) post, but some besides
me may find this amusing, and I think it does illustrate Vera's point.
On Fri, 17 Jun 2011, Vera John-Steiner referred to the
social dissemination and negotiation of newly coined or reinterpreted
meanings like "cool" which in originally youth parlance did not refer to
temperature. That meaning can shift or have different "meanings" according
to context is obvious but the consistency with which Vygotsky emphasized it
is "in the text."
When I started watching Brazilian movies and TV, I was struck by the use
of "legal!" as the most common (it seems to me) Brazilian Portuguese
equivalent for "cool!" For a while, I expected that "legal" was maybe not
such a close equivalent, and maybe carried nuances resonating our use of
"legal" (which is also used in Portuguese with reference to legality,
etc.). Hearing enough instances has convinced me that when a young
paulista says "legal!," most times she really is just saying "kewl!"
xmca mailing list