Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:34 PM
Subject: [xmca] Word Meaning and Action: What' Plausible branch?

Andy/Martin et al--

Not sure where this fits in the discussion.Perhaps it falls somewhere  in
terms of "its in the text" versus "we interpret" distinction. I do not think
that i agree with all of what Andy writes below, but I get the first part
and want to test my understanding with different example to see if it fits.

When lecturing to classes on topic of words and meaning, material and ideal,
I find that students simply do not understand what i mean when I say that
language is simultaneously material and idea. When this confusion arises, I
start some easy to understand topic and switch into Russian, the only
non-English language in which I can pass in a casual conversation for 2
minutes.

Bewilderment.

Question 1. What disappeared when i began to speak Russian? Typical Answer:
The meaning of what I was saying.

Question 2: What was left? The material, phylogenetically linked, capacity
to produce/hear sound waves in the human spectrum and to parse them in
various ways without tuition.
(sign languages will substitute here, i am shorthanding).

So the meaning of what I was saying disappeared. But this rasises an
interesting

Question 3: Where did "the meaning"  come from in the first place? From  a
past history of those artifacts/words, phrases, pragmatic gestures,
discourse acts, etc mediating our joint activity with our world.

Next I try to demystify this way of talking. At this point, if its a
sizeable audience, someone has understood the Russian that I spoke. So i ask whoever understood what I said how it came to me that she could make sense
of the words I had chosen. The them of doing something with others with
Russian as the medium of joint activity is the invariable reply.

Does this capture what you are saying about words as they enter into human
activity?

mike