Re: [xmca] Word Meaning and Concept

Martin, you asked me to bring forward the evidence and I gave you 16 quotes from across the CW. I very much doubt if I found anything to support my claim before 1928. His ideas, while Marxist, were not sufficiently differentiated before that time. He seems to have greatly benefited from his reading of Lenin's Philosophical Notebooks somewhere around 1928, so far as I can see, as well as the extended reflections contained in "Historical Crisis."

andy

Martin Packer wrote:
Here's an example of the dangers of cherry-picking quotes without attention to chronology. In Educational Psychology (1922) he wrote of the formation of concepts as a process of the collocation of similar constituent elements:

 “it is extraordinarily important to discern the psychological mechanism responsible for the formation of concepts, i.e., those general and cognate reactions that relate not to individual objects, but to an entire class or an entire group of objects simultaneously…. When I say the word, ‘lamp,’ having in mind an entire class of homogeneous objects, I am thereby making use of the results of a vast amount of analytic work that has already been completed, i.e., the work of decomposing all the objects already in my experience into their constituent components, into assimilations, i.e., the collocation of similar elements, and of the synthesis of the remaining elements into an integral concept” (p. 177). He went  on to mention, approvingly, “the law of inverse proportional dependence between the volume and content of a concept…. The broader the volume [extension] of some concept, incidentally, the narrower is its content, and conversely” (p. 178).

In the Pedology of the Adolescent (1930, 1931) he rejected precisely this approach to concepts:

“Here we come close to establishing one of the central points that must be explained if we are to overcome the usual error relative to the break between form and content in the development of thinking. From formal logic, traditional psychology adopted the idea of the concept as an abstract mental construct extremely remote from all the wealth of concrete reality. From the point of view of formal logic, the development of concepts is subject to the basic law of inverse proportionality between the scope and content of a concept. The broader the scope of a concept, the narrower its content. This means that the greater the number of objects that the given concept can be applied to, the greater the circle of concrete things that it encompasses, the poorer its content, the emptier it proves to be. The process of forming concepts according to formal logic is extremely simple. The points of abstracting and generalizing are internally closely connected with each other from the point of view of one and the same process, but taken from different aspects. In the words of K. Bühler, what logic terms an abstraction and generalization is completely simple and understandable. A concept from which one of the traits is taken away becomes poorer in content, more abstract and augmented in scope, and becomes general.

“It is completely clear that if the process of generalizing is considered as a direct result of abstraction of traits, then we will inevitably come to the conclusions that thinking in concepts is removed from reality, that the constant represented in concepts becomes poorer and poorer, scant and narrow. Not without reason are such concepts frequently termed empty abstracts… Concrete, diverse phenomena must lose their traits one after the other in order that a concept might be formed. Actually what arises is a dry and empty abstraction in which the diverse, full-blooded reality is narrowed and impoverished by logical thought. This is the source of the celebrated words of Goethe: 'Gray is every theory and eternally green is the golden tree of life.'

“This dry, empty, gray abstraction inevitably strives to reduce content to zero because the more general, the more empty a concept becomes. Impoverishing the content is done from fateful necessity, and for this reason psychology, proceeding to develop the teaching on concepts on the grounds of formal logic, presented thinking in concepts as the system of thinking that as the poorest, scantiest, and emptiest.”

My conclusion? We need to hold onto the textual context when we pluck out a juicy quotation.

Martin