Re: [xmca] "Inner Form" of Word, Symmetry, Ivanov Bateson?

On Jun 2, 2011, at 7:16 PM, David Kellogg wrote:

> "It appears that Vygotskii did not so much supplement Shpet's ideas about the inner form of the word as he replaced them with the notion of the 'inner form of speech'." (p. 48)
> Zinchenko, V.P. and J.V. Wertsch  (2009)  Gustav Shpet's Influence on Psychology. In
> G. Tihanov (ed.) Gustav Shpet's Contribution to Philosophy and Cultural Theory. West Lafayette: Purdue 45-55.

David,

The obvious reply to a suggestion that LSV "replaced" the notion of inner form with that of inner speech is to point out that in T&S he employed them both. His terminology is rarely completely consistent: yes, he has "inner form," "inner side," "inner aspect." But he also has "inner speech," "self-directed speech,' and even "egocentric speech."

If the suggestion is that in T&S "inner speech" and "inner form of the word" are somehow equivalents, the question would be whether there are occasions in the text where replacing one of these formulations with the other would not be incoherent. I would suspect not.

I'm not sure what to make of your statement:

> I guess I agree that Vygotsky does NOT mean what Potebnia means: he does NOT think that the "inner form" of a statue of Themis has the "inner form" of justice and the "outer form" of a woman with a big knife and a pair of balances.

You know as well as I do that this is precisely what LSV wrote about inner form in The Psychology of Art.

Martin