[xmca] "Inner Form" of Word, Symmetry, Ivanov Bateson?

David, Tony, Martin..........

I am still pondering this note, even though the discussion has moved along.
The issue that is pestering me is change in word meaning over ontogeny and
cultural history.

In the 1980's I got to know VV Ivanov. He was preoccupied at the time with
the importance of A-symmetry and talking a lot of right brain/left brain
stuff that did not
particularly excite me at the time.

Your discussion of inner/outer form of word got me thinking about him and
Bateson.
I have been unable to find this essay in English

*The Asymmetry of the Brain and of the Sign Systems*). Moscow,Sovetskoe
radio, 1978.
Ivanov was/is a fan of Tartu semiological theories.

If the symmetry position is associated with timelessness/religion, might
there be help here for further thought about inner/outer forms of words in
the process of thought?

Then I remembered Bateson's focus (in Mind and Nature) on assymetry as
foundational to development. I do not have my copy of the book to hand, but
I believe that it is assymetry that underlies the shape of a snail's shell
and the symbol on the lchc home page.

Any help out there in xmcaland?
mike