From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Martin Packer
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2011 5:22 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] sense and sensibility

This from Morris' dissertation: Symbolism and reality: a study in the nature
of mind.

"The essay will aim to show that thought and mind are not entities, nor even
processes involving a psychical substance distinguishable from the rest of
reality, but are explicable as the functioning of parts of the experience of
an organism as symbols to that organism of other parts of experience. Being
then the symbolic portion *of* experience, the psychical or mental can
neither be sharply opposed to the rest of experience, nor identified with
the whole of experience. And since experience will be shown to be a portion
of reality, it follows that mind and reality can never be utterly separated
nor indiscriminately identified" (3-4)

On Apr 28, 2011, at 7:09 PM, Martin Packer wrote:

> Monica,
>
> Charles W. Morris (May 23, 1901, Denver, Colorado - January 15, 1979,
Gainesville, Florida) was an American semiotician and philosopher. George
Herbert Mead directed his doctoral dissertation on a symbolic theory of
mind, completed in 1925. His students included semiotician Thomas A. Sebeok.
For some years I've had his "Six Theories of Mind" (1932) on the shelf, and
recently found time to read it. (It's available on the web.)