From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On
Behalf Of Martin Packer
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:46 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] concepts for LSV and us

Larry,

It's interesting, isn't it, that Leopold confirmed my suspicion that
metaphor should be thought of as part of the inner form of the word. And
metaphor has both its established, one might say conventionalized, versions
such as the "love is a journey" metaphor and others that Lakoff has
articulated, and its creative and spontaneous versions, the fresh metaphors
we invent on the spot and in the moment.

I think you're correct, Anna's word play is designed to evoke an
understanding in the recipient that more conventional word choices would not
permit.

Martin
On Apr 27, 2011, at 9:14 AM, Larry Purss wrote:

> Martin & Jay & Anna and others
>
> Commognition as a term Anna has coined to capture a relation between
> communication and cognition has an historical context that is a particular
> example of what I think Anton Marty is referring to as *inner form* .  The
> article Martin posted by W. Leopold  in 1929, exploring Anton Marty's
notion
> of inner form, [that challenged Wundt's principle of parallelism of mind
and
> language as a DIRECT outgrowth of mind] was helpful to try to grasp
Marty's