To: "'eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity'" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 12:00 PM
Subject: RE: [xmca] nonverbal representations

The section I am working on is a brief historical overview of the study of
mental imagery conceptions of nonverbal mental representations and their
role in literacy development. For example, here is one quote of Vygotky's
that is problematic for me.

In Kozulin's translation of Thought and Language (1986): "We are therefore
forced to conclude that the fusion of though and speech, in adults as well
as in children, is a phenomenon limited to a circumscribed area. Nonverbal
thought and nonintellectual speech do not participate in this fusion and are
affected only indirectly by the processes of verbal thought" (p. 89).

Does anyone have another interpretation here? This is in Chapter 4 in The
Genetic Roots of Thought and Speech at the end of part III.