Re: [xmca] discourse and unit

Units are always in principle visible (well sensuous).
Davydov is explicit in that.
Andy

anna sfard wrote:
Andy,
You seem to imply a unit must be a part of a greater whole, perhaps even an
invisible part, as is the case for molecules or cells. While I don't see
invisibility ("see invisibility"? well, you know what I mean) as a defining
property of unit of analysis, I do believe that being a part of something
bigger is a useful characteristic.  The discourses I named are all
irreducible parts, at least for me, of the greater whole which is our
communicational activity - our thinking.  The discourses I named are
irreducible in that when you look at their separate elements (e.g., words or
concepts), the effect is exactly like in the case of looking at single atoms
inside a molecule: you lose the ties/relations to the other atoms and the
gestalt is gone.
And now, I'm afraid, I must be gone. My immediate non-virtual community
makes sounds of being annoyed with my unexpected departure (whereas xmca
community may be annoyed with my intensive - all too intensive - presence in
these last few days, for which I'm asking its forgiveness).

anna