Re: [xmca] Deb Roy: The birth of a word

As I read the comments on Deb Roy's massive data collection efforts I've been thinking back over the various approaches to language acquisition research over the years, and it occurs to me that Roy's approach assumes that the best way to study his child's development is from a thoroughly third-person perspective, with a computer peering Hal-like from the ceiling. Contrast that with another case study of a single child, Michael Halliday's study of Nigel in 'Learning How to Mean.' There we had the boy's father drawing crucially on his involvement as a participant in interaction with the child. The latter seems to me to have produced a much richer understanding of what a child is doing as they begin to talk.

Martin