Re: [xmca] Refugees and Conception

Paula
Thank you for this article explaining Valsiner's 4 levels. I also find it a
very interesting framework for trying to understand emotions.
I'm also aware of Andy's comments that Valsner is "merely" articulating a
"cognitive perspective" of generalization/abstraction and am trying to
remain reflective.
What I particularly find interesting is the recognition that at the "higher"
4th level of generalization the process of differentiation and reflection of
affect becomes DE-differentiated and abstracted [and implicit]
This "higher" level is the level of VALUES which have an IMPLICIT
constraining determination on the emergence and generation of affect and
meaning.  This model also offers an explanation of why it is so difficult to
have a DIALOGUE about level 2 emotions and meanings. At the level 4
de-differentiation of value constructions persons have a
generalized/abstracted orientation which is "just a feeling" which is
difficult to put into words and articulate.

I'm reading the other articles within this thread, but I'm hoping Andy and
others add their thoughts on Valsiner.  His writings are helping me to
understand abduction, pseudoconcepts, and stage/layer accounts of
development.  His perspective also has significant implications for how we
"observe" or "recognize" our relations with others.

Larry