Re: [xmca] Online role-play research

Thank you Richard for the clarification. And as Mike said, both LARP and
your online role-play are different than the play camps that started this
thread. All of them, it seems, draw on some sort of imagined outcome to give
kids/role-players agency.

I think the genre framing you detailed is really interesting, as, in the
play camp article, those kids and camp counselors are tapping into heroic
legends and myths, and LARPs (the traditional ones) typically fall into
various genres of fantasy or sci-fi, too, that somewhat set the stage for
which actions are considered legitimate practice.

mark

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 8:22 AM, Richard Beach <rbeach@umn.edu> wrote:

>      Mark rightfully constrasted the LARP research from our research on
> online role-play.
>
>        While our research on online role-play is certainly quite different
> from the more open-ended fantasy role-play, I want to note that rather than
> the traditional notions of competitive debate/argument, we base our work on
> alternative models of ³collaborative argument² (Andriessen, Baker, &
> Suthers, 2003; Clark & Sampson, 2008; Marttunen &  Laurinen, 2007). as well
> as ³pragmatic-dialectic models (van Eemeren, 2009) that involves exchange
> claims and negotiating differences between claims in "constructive
> controversy" (Johnson & Johnson, 2009) to achieve the larger goal of
> mutually solving problems for achieving some resolution.
>
>    We also draw on research on use of ³collaborative reasoning² at the
> elementary grade level in which the teacher poses open-ended, ³big
> questions² regarding larger issues portrayed in a text, as well as asking
> students for reasons for their positions, modeling collaborative-reasoning
> strategies, and summarizing key differences in students¹ positions, finds
> that acquiring this tool enhances students ability to analyze and formulate
> arguments (Reznitskaya, et al., 2007; 2009).
>
>    And we draw on Flower, Long, & Higgins¹s (2000) ³rival hypothesis
> thinking² that involves through entertaining and challenging rival
> hypotheses through active exchange of claims and challenges to those claims
> in service learning or community development activities.
>
>    One interesting aspect of this research is how participants employ
> social genres as shared, prototypical social practices designed to achieve
> certain rhetorical ³uptakes² (Bazerman, 1994; Nystand, 1986; Swales, 1999)
> that serve to mediate argumentative interaction or construct ethos.  As
> Russell (2009) notes, ³genres allow subjects to recognize the activity and
> the appropriate actions in the presence of certain constellations of
> tools‹marks on surfaces and other material phenomena.  And genres make it
> possible to act with others over time in more or less but never entirely
> predictable ways, individually, collectively, and institutionally² (p. 43).
>
>    To study participants¹ construction of ethos, we draw on discourse
> analysis to examine roles¹ ³double-voicing² of discourses as a ³hybrid
> discourse practice²‹Kamberelis (2001, pp. 120-121) in which ³external
> authoritative² discourses intermix with more familiar, ³internally
> persuasive² discourses (Bakhtin, 1981) to create power hierarchies in the
> exchanges between appeals to external authority (Beach & Doerr-Stevens, in
> press).  Double-voicing these completing, hybrid discourses led students to
> recognition of the tensions/contradictions between constituting competing
> perspectives on an issue.  And, we draw on research on ³presence² (Bracken
> &
> Skalski, 2010)‹the sense that one is experience an actual, ³lived,²
> [...]

Mark Chen | @mcdanger | markdangerchen.net
PhC | Games Ethnographer | LIFE Center | UW Education
This was sent from a PC with a full-size keyboard; misspellings and brevity
are entirely my fault.