From:   Carol Macdonald <carolmacdon@gmail.com>
To:     "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Date:   07/13/2010 08:35 AM
Subject:        Re: [xmca] The Missing Part
Sent by:        xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu

Eric

What does this mean?  Am I dense or is there a word missing:

but I have turned the corner and *believe we are who were
and wherever you go there you are. *

I loved D's illogicality:
*
But it's also why there can be, at one and the same moment, universalism
("We're all the same"), relativism ("We're all different, but equal") and
developmentalism ("We're all different, and the differences matter") at
one and the same time.*

But, for me relativism is a farce--e.g. the witchdoctor having the same
power as a nuclear physicist? USAID and DFiD don't believe this, and
neither
do I.

And on what grounds do we see Shweder as having Mike's stature? (David) My
students hated him (Shweder, by the way, they thought he was a sellout,
too
close to mainstream psychology.)

Carol

PS Sorry for spoiling the line of argument: I have missed a part.

On 13 July 2010 15:15, <ERIC.RAMBERG@spps.org> wrote:

> [...]
the
> US Army in the occupation of remote provinces. Shweder's position is
that
> they can and should, because their presence will help troops understand
> local customs (e.g. the custom of "Loving Thursdays" whereby village
> elders undertake the sexual initiation of young boys).
>
> Whatever you may think of Shweder's view, it certainly corroborates the
> idea that cultural psychology (of which Shweder is probably the leading
> advocate after Mike himself) has feet of clay, that it has not yet
> entirely freed itself from its roots as an adjunct of imperialist
> occupation, and that we have a ways to go before we can really say it
has
> something to offer every human being it purports to study.
>
> Take English as a global language (PLEASE! Take it away before it hurts
> somebody!). English even in its benign forms is a lousy language for
world
> communication precisely because it is a perfect language for world
> domination, a perfect exclusive language for the global community of
> airport hopping rich folks.
>
> English is a nightmare choice for a world language. It is phonologically
> bizarre, grammatically opaque, and pragmatically obscurantist. It has a
> dark past, rooted in a dominance born of genocide and slavery. But it
also
> has a certain promise, a certain future, a certain freedom which we see
> whenever we teach it in a country like Korea, and we see that the more
we
> teach it, the less English it becomes.
>
> I think these problems with English are roughly the same problems that
> cultural psychology had in Vygotsky's time. Bleuler, who was Piaget's
> teacher and certainly knew Levy-Bruhl's work extremely well, broke with
> both Piaget and Levy-Bruhl precisely over the theorized from of these
> problems, the developmental issue of whether "autistic" thinking was
> developmentally primary, ontogenetically or sociogenetically.
>
> Bleuler, and Vygotsky too, turned the Europocentric view right
> upside-down; they believed tha autism, far from being developmentally
> atavistic, required a certain stage of development to achieve: you had
> be able to remember first and only then could you really think about
your
> wishes, dreams, desires. They also believed that thinking
"irrealisically"
> about wishes and desires led in a fairly direct way to more
> realistic hopes and plans.
>
> For that very reason it was wrong to consider "autism" as an
> underdeveloped stage; autism, or as he liked to call it, "irrealism" was
> simply that part of human thinking that was genuinely relativistic,
where
> neither an adult nor a man "at the pinnacle of civilization" (Bleuler is
> certainly being ironic here since he is writing at the outset of World
War
> One) may claim superiority. There may be other areas where one form of
> thinking includes, subsumes, and sublates earlier forms (e.g.
mathematics
> [...]
> his disciples and as ‘morbid consciousness,’ assuming that this last
> concept, which we owe to M. Ch. Blondel, is not simply fused with the
> former.” (p. 201-202). In reality, the appearance of this first works,
in
> regard to the historic importance as a fact for future reference in the
> development of psychological thought must be on the compared with the
> appearance of “Les fonctions mentales dans les societes inferieures” of
> Levi- Bruhl, Freud’s “The interpretation of dreams’, or Blondel’s “La
> conscience morbide”. It is not simply that between these phenomena in
the
> development of the field of scientific psychology there is a formal
> resemblance, determined by their level of historic importance, but that
> there is a deep, internal kinship, a connection in essence which is
> visible in their philosophical and psychological tendencies. Not without
> reason does Piaget himself base in enormous measure his own studies and
> constructions on these three works and on their authors.
>
> Last night I was re-reading Bleuler's criticisms of Freud in "Autistic
> Thinking" and I also came upon these words, which Vygotsky quotes
> approvingly.
>
> "Examining the more grown-up child, I also do not much observe that he
> would prefer the imaginary apple to the real. The imbecile and the
savage
> are alike practitioners of Realpolitik and the latter, (exactly like us,
> who stand at the apex of cognitive ability) makes his autistic
stupidities

> only in such cases when reason and experience prove insufficient: in his
> ideas about the universe, about the phenomena of nature, in his
> understanding of diseases and other blows of destiny, in adopting
measures

> to shield himself from them, and in other relationships which are too
> complex for him.”
>
> It seems to me that here and elsewhere in this chapter Bleuler is
arguing
> for, and Vygotsky is agreeing with, a position that is simultaneously
> universalist, relativist, and developmentalist. It is universalist in
the
> sense that it argues for a universal human autistic response to areas of
> experience of which we are ignorant. It is relativist in the sense that
it

> argues for the independence of an "autistic" response from rationality
and

> an autonomous art and autonomous humanities based on that independence
> that is in no way subordinate to rationality. It is developmentalist in
> the sense that it argues for an autistic response which develops out of
> narrow, immediately realistic (perception based?) reality function
rather
> than vice versa (as in Freud, Janet, and Levy-Bruhl).

WORK as:
Visiting Researcher
Wits School of Education
HOME