[xmca] Dexter et al on schooling

'nother good paper, Mike.

What I gatherered was that modernity is a society of decontextualised communication, and that formal schooling inducts people into this kind of activity.

So reading "Mary threw a stick. Fido chased it," makes no sense to someone who doesn't know anyone called Mary or a dog called Fido, etc., until they have been accustomed to this kind of decontextualised and impersonal communication. Hearing a radio broadcast of "Boiling baby's water kills germs," is an experience of the same kind. It would be unlikely to be trusted or understood by an unschooled person.

So learning to read and write is not just about written speech as opposed to verbal speech. Teacher getting the class to chant a list of food types is just as much decontextualised communication as reading about Mary and Fido. Interestingly the writers say it is "not surprising" that reading ability to not well correlated to schooling, though understanding decpontexualised verbal communication is!

And nor is the development of "conscious awarenss" implied in writing an issue for these writers. It is decontextualised and impersonal communication - an essential skill for living in the modern world, but also a contributor to the ills of modernity.

Very interesting.

Andy
mike cole wrote:
Cool summary of the article, Steve.
A variety of issues ensue, but which are of interest to people?

mike