Re: [xmca] Interface as tool and sign

Although Vygotsky definitely did talk about "tool and sign" as though there was a dichtomy here, this was in the days before personal computers and so on. I see these as archetypes, not categories as such. Consider the following series of cultural means of opening a door: crow-bar, handle, key, swipe card, PIN code, password, smile to the doorkeeper.

See http://home.mira.net/~andy/works/vygotskys-critique.htm

Andy

Jon Olav H. Eikenes wrote:
Dear XMCA

I am currently doing research on (human-computer) interfaces and try
to analyze them as mediating artifacts. By drawing on social semiotics
I see the interface as a ‘sign’ – a multimodal text that employs
semiotic resources for making meaning. However, I also see the
interface as a tool or instrument for people in carrying out actions
(such as producing music or writing documents) – by drawing on
Vygotsky and Leont’ev. Jay Lemke mentioned to me that there already
have been discussions in XMCA about the differences and similarities
of tools and signs. I have consulted the archives and found many
interesting references. However, I wonder if anyone know any
literature that addresses how something may function both as sign and
as tool at the same time.

Jon Olav