From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu on behalf of mike cole
Sent: Wed 4/21/2010 9:34 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [xmca] Experiments, assymetries, and strange situations

OK, I'll change the header, and someone can change it back if they wish. I
was, so to speak, losing track of the thread.

Luria said that LSV conducted "experiments" (his daughter reaching for the
cookies) "pour voir." Seems a lot like empirical philosophy to me. What is
the origin of that phrase, David K? And thanks for summarizing this long and
interesting thread.

About origin of phrases:
re-reading "Facing Mount Kenya" I discover that the intro was written by
Malinowski, Kenyatta's mentor in British higher education. The book is full
of wonderful stuff, but a comment in the intro caught my attention.
"Progress is a terrible thing" writes Malinowski, quoting Williams James (he
writes). Tracking it down through google it turns out that James never wrote
such a phrase. Robert Parke, HIS student wrote it down, quoting something he
said that james said at a meeting on evolution and progress. All of this at
a very uncomfortable time, not so distant or different from our own, when
the world was in economic crisis, the dreams of many millions and their
lives had been lost, and were being lost, in international wars.

Bakhtin on reported speech? Sources of ideas like that we are all doing
empirical philosophy? If we are not, what are such fugitive words as
ontology skulking around here for?

The good news is that it is raining in April in San Diego and that people on
XMCA are writing down such interesting ideas. East of here the entire school
of education at Arizona State was shuttered and word has it (:-))
that many thousands of teachers will not be returning to their classrooms
in the fall. Some free spirits showed us that all that seems solid melts
into hot air.
mike

<<winmail.dat>>