Re: [xmca] The Interpersonal Is Not the Sociocultural

I am thinking about what Vygotsky says, about the intertwining of thought and language, I prefer to say, thinking and speaking. And if this is the case, then Heidegger, Hegel, Vygotsky, Leont'ev are, strictly speaking, untranslatable. This is the point that Ricœur and Derrida make. But equally, because there is translation from English into another such English every time you are asked "what do you mean," and you give it a second try, there is an inner contradiction or continual dialogue that makes every language non-identical with itself. THis is precisely the engine for the change of language Bakhtin writes about, the point that makes a language to live, and a language no longer spoken is a dead language precisely because it is dead, nobody speaks it, and so it is fixed.

So grammarians, many linguists, are dealing with corpses, well, they say they deal with corpuses, perhaps corpuses are corpses. . . . telling us little about the life of language, which is the language of life . . .

Michael

On 2010-04-02, at 6:51 AM, Andy Blunden wrote:

Why not use it? Absolutely, and German has so many absolutely beautiful and untranslatble words! (Russian is a closed book to me unfortunately) ... Gestalt, Bildung, Schwerpunkt, Anschauung, and others who semantic netowrk is so extensive and rich, Begriff, Wesen, and so on, .. ... the list goes on forever. Since Kant taught philosophy to speak German, I think any English speaker has struggled to keep up. You can imagine that studying Hegel without fluency in German has always been a struggle. There is an excellent Hegel Dictionary by Michael Inwood, which helps a great deal in navigating through these multilingual mazes.

Andy

Wolff-Michael Roth wrote:
> Andy, in a footnote of an article I am working on with Luis Radford, where we do a Leont'ev reading of mathematical activity, I wrote this:
> We ground our reading in the German version, which is in many ways more just to the original than the English translation. For example, the Russian and German versions distinguish between two very different nouns, Tätigkeit (deyatel’nost’ [деятельность]) and Aktivität (activnost’ [активность]), both of which are rendered in English as activity. The Russian and German versions distinguish phenomena that are societal (gesellschaftlich, obshchestvennoĭ [общественной]) from those that are social (sozial, sozial’n [социальн]), but the English version renders both as “social.” In English, we find the word “meaning” that translates znachenie (значение)/ Bedeutung even though the Russian / German equivalents refer to an objective phenomenon at the cultural-historical level rather than the personal sense (Sinn, smisl [смысл]) students make (“construct”) as part of lessons. Our specific word choices have b
een made such as to promote the specific, the very different reading of Leont’ev’s work that the German version allows.