[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] Institutions and concepts
- To: email@example.com, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] Institutions and concepts
- From: Tony Whitson <twhitson@UDel.Edu>
- Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:42:44 -0400 (EDT)
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <4BAD8A38.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <4BAD8A38.email@example.com>
- Reply-to: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: email@example.com
Thanks, Andy; this is extremely useful.
I would add this:
Stephen Toulmin: Concepts as micro-institutions (according to my memory,
which is less reliable at this hour)
I have something on this in my chapter in the Kirshner & Whitson (eds)
book on Situated Cognition. See
On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Andy Blunden wrote:
mike cole wrote:
Perhaps I am agreeing with Andy about the linkages between institutions
concepts, which is also a linkage between activities and concepts.
Mike, I would like to mention the following semantic connections which I
think CHAT needs to pay attention to if we are to talk to the numerous other
currents who share our domain of enquiry.
Institution = Discourse (Foucault)
= Practico-intert (Sartre)
= Object (Hegel)
= Activity (ANL, def. by object)
= Genre (Bakhtin)
= Frame (Goffman)
= Tradition (Gadamer)
= Figured world (D Holland)
= Activity System (Engestrom?)
= Social formation (Marx)
= Field (Bourdieu)
which is a dead or solidified ...?
Project for Schmit
for Hegelians like Pinkard and Andy
for Existentialists (Sartre, Heidegger?)
Gestalt des consciousness for Hegel
momentary = context
Projects & Institutions have as Units ... ?
= Action (ANL)
obviously none of the = are really =, because they involve different
conceptual frames. Which is my point, I guess.
xmca mailing list
UD School of Education
NEWARK DE 19716
"those who fail to reread
are obliged to read the same story everywhere"
-- Roland Barthes, S/Z (1970)
xmca mailing list