[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [xmca] udpate on History / Social Studies debacle in Texas
- To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: [xmca] udpate on History / Social Studies debacle in Texas
- From: mike cole <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 16:23:53 -0700
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:reply-to:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=Q4nCTg6+UBVeONY8cJPUt8KthNUcMfZ1V8r5KL1hZWo=; b=sT20S+I6GNbEeLDVNFntoCcy4Nz76AXb14BxPYOAS7rUs2EOO9A84iB3a54U5y9toc n8opK3UpEsOFjXsIi5UrAVdsSX9uAJhj7/iR4rVoeNjSvocELNjyc9aHjwqCCHJCk75Q 7kUry4n5GSXEpQRBsg9qVMsx5s9a/iWhZpFQ0=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=mime-version:reply-to:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; b=j+d/RvQJRS5XrxFb2GJxj70L7nAey3PFVkf7jbygItZQtjpUzfEIpDia9SYSj5kkVf jtCQyV5QDAcLS9u74O6ojkDFHQk2NdRuISnxyJsAJJ7eLwgRxulnXimVw28HGFRNNXl/ VdNcZQvf6f3SKSHzeh3jb/SwZmqqL1BulBV3M=
- In-reply-to: <Pine.SOL.4.60L.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-archive: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/private/xmca>
- List-help: <mailto:email@example.com?subject=help>
- List-id: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca.weber.ucsd.edu>
- List-post: <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org>
- List-subscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:email@example.com?subject=subscribe>
- List-unsubscribe: <http://dss.ucsd.edu/mailman/listinfo/xmca>, <mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org?subject=unsubscribe>
- References: <Pine.SOL.4.60L.email@example.com>
- Reply-to: firstname.lastname@example.org, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
Very painful, tony. But to quote you quoting Barth,
"those who fail to reread are obliged to read the same story everywhere"
The story is, well, not particularly upbeat these days.
On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Tony Whitson <email@example.com> wrote:
> Shortly before the January meeting of the Texas State Board of Education,
> Mike posted a message on the effort to remove Thurgood Marshall and Cesar
> Chavez from the curriculum in Texas. I've been following this very closely,
> and I sent a response that these specific efforts would not succeed, but
> there is plenty of other alarming mischief coming down.
> The SBOE met again last week on this, and it's gotten even more appalling.
> (I'm tempted to apologize to non-US list members; but the ramifications of
> US politics are global, unfortunately [ I give my own Social Studies
> students an editorial by a European arguing that the whole world's
> population should be able to vote in our elections: 1) because they all
> suffer the consequences, and 2) because they pay attention and know more
> about the issues than voters do in the US ].
> Anyway, for those who are interested, you might want to look at
> This is directed more at coverage of the travesty than the travesty itself,
> but it includes links with the information about what transpired last week
> in Texas.
> Tony Whitson
> UD School of Education
> NEWARK DE 19716
> "those who fail to reread
> are obliged to read the same story everywhere"
> -- Roland Barthes, S/Z (1970)
> xmca mailing list
xmca mailing list