Re: [xmca] new national curriculum in Australia

Ain't got hardly know hidea of what 2 due about grammar, Andy.
There is a book by Markova, student of Davydov's, on teaching Russian
to Russian kids that may provide some insight.

Speaking from personal experience, I was totally put off and confused by the
lessons designed to teach me (American) English grammar that involved
parsining sentences in diagrams that totally befuddled me,
used as i was, to speaking in (more or less grammatical) sentences without
realizing what i was doing.

I believe that my most effective education in learning grammar in a
conscious, motivated, and (largely ineffective) manner came when i began to
learn Russian as a graduate student.

My wife, Sheila, and i puzzled over such arcane issues as what is the
genetive or dative case? Case? I was a mental case. I learned Russian most
effectively elbow to elbow with other of Luria's lab assistants who need to
get the job done but could not speak English.

I always marvel at the ability of people like David Kel to think about these
matters from, so to speak, above. I find it difficult to think about them at
all. Its like chewing gum, walking, and considering what the hell m=mc**2 at
the same time!!  (actually, i am guessing that the ** convention which I
learned when I learned Fortran, has something to do with grammar, but that
was in the prior millenium).

Zo hit goz.
mike