Re: [xmca] Human spark TV show: when did the sparks begin?

There is little doubt that humans began to set the world aflame when they migrated to all its corners 30K+ years ago, and things have been changing rapidly since, relatively speaking. Quite the wave of sparks and consequent flames. And quite the range of "genius" and "stupidity" seems to have accompanied these new powers. But here is the question: was 30 kya really the "debut," as the PBS intro says, of human sparking? Or did it begin much earlier - millions of years earlier?

- Steve

On Jan 26, 2010, at 4:56 AM, David H Kirshner wrote:

Steve,
I didn't see much of the series, but one part I did see had to do with
stone tool-making of a hominid cousin--I think Neanderthal. The comment
was that over thousands of years the technology of making this stone
tool did not progress an iota. So the fact of (somehow ???) inventing
the technology was a spark of genius, the spark didn't quite kindle into
flame at that phylogenetic period.
David

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu]
On Behalf Of Steve Gabosch
Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2010 1:30 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Human spark TV show: when did the sparks begin?

Mike's comment about "many sparks," and that nicely made PBS show now
available online in at least 2 of the 3 episodes about "The Human
Spark -The Nature of Human Uniqueness", has gotten me thinking about a
line of questioning that has been on my mind for some time, and which
I'll pose in terms of the spark metaphor.

An online introduction to the series suggests that the human spark may
be only 30K years old.

from:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/humanspark/about/about-the-series-introduction/3
5/

"In the first program, Alda witnesses the dazzling (apparent) debut of
the Human Spark in the spectacular 30,000 year-old artwork carved and
painted on the walls of caves in France ..."

My question is: didn't the Neandertal peoples also possess some of the
'human spark'?  And how about our many other human cousins - didn't
humanity begin to 'spark' its way out of the animal world millions of
years ago?

Surely, migrating all over the planet 50K or more years ago, and the
development all the new technologies associated with that period -
sometimes dubbed the "Great Leap Forward" - (barbed hooks, traps, wall
paintings, etc. etc. etc.) - involved a new and dramatic wave of
sparks.  And yes, from available evidence, modern humans, homo sapiens
sapiens, appear to be no more than about 200K years old (all dating
mentioned here is very rough, of course).

But what about other human (humanoid?) accomplishments - durable
production tools such as stone axes, fire, and so forth?  Those were
results and causes of human sparks, too - yes?

- Steve