Re: [xmca] Zhozephina Shif – something in English?

What you say complements what I wrote, Bella.
On the surface, there was a more or less unified "school" for which
Vygotsky was the fulcrum. No reason to show the differences to students.

Ulvi-- I am sure that somewhere in the vast literature on Vygotsky and
post-Vygotskian psychology you will find people who dig into
interpersonal relationships a lot. Its the kind of thing that have trouble
remembering, even in my personal life and have to be reminded about. Luria
NEVER made any negative comments to me about Leontiev. He appeared to share
my tendency toward selective forgetting.

I think focus on the intellectual level is sufficient. Activity theory, for
example, is attributed, quite correctly in my view, to Leontiev and/or
Rubenshtein. Luria rarely, and only in a passing fashion, used the term
activity, and when he did it was almost within the context of
neuropsychological analysis. He invokes the term (40s after the work) in his
writeup of the research in Central Asia, but there is no analysis there. He
repeatedly and insistently claimed to know little of marxist-leninist theory
and always deferred to Leontiev on this topic if it came up.

There are many key Luria neuropsychological texts in English and as Bella
notes, and insists in his autobiograpy, his work is profitably seen as a
continuation of work begun jointly during Vygotsky's lifetime. His focus on
nomothetic versus idiographic analysis, which predates his involvement with
Vygotsky, is in my view fully compatible with Vygotsky who simply wrote less
about the issue.

mike
On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 3:02 AM, Bella Kotik-Friedgut <bella.kotik@gmail.com