From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: 12 January 2010 04:50
Cc: Culture ActivityeXtended Mind
Subject: Re: [xmca] Rudolf Steiner

I won't drag out the discussion, David, but the point is that (broadly speaking) you either work within the existing, dominant social relations of a country, or you struggle to change those social relations, or some combination of both.

I apologize if I have shattered your hopes, but improving education practices in the ghetto is unlikely to bring about a revolution and a social transformation. But there are plenty of other reasons for such work.

That doesn't mean that working from the top down is my "solution," and nor does it suggest that the poor should be abandoned.

Self-evidently, the observation does not extend across state boundaries.

Andy

David Kellogg wrote:
Andy, I couldn't agree more with at least one thing that you said below: it sure is a dreadful thing to say. Imagine a healthcare reform drawn up along the lines that you suggest: we establish preventive medicine healthcare plans for the very wealthy, and having shown that they appear to work for some mysterious reason, we hope to find them emulated by insurance companies in China and public health programmes in India. Actually, Andy's solution of building clean, efficient, and inexpensive subway stations ...