Re: [xmca] The Ubiquity of Unicorns

Hello Michael:

Would the problems of language fall into the category of contextual
understanding?

eric

Wolff-Michael Roth <mroth@uvic.ca>
Sent by: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
10/21/2009 07:42 AM
Please respond to "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"

        To:     lchcmike@gmail.com, "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity"
<xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
        cc:
        Subject:        Re: [xmca] The Ubiquity of Unicorns

Hi all,
I think that English speakers tend to have problems with Heidegger,
and the French philosophers, and the difference between Sein (Être)
and Seinendes (étant), which translators attempt to render as Being
and beings, with the problem that the plural form brings. Heidegger's
work was concerned, a problematic he already found in Plato (in the
concept of khora), to think about the difference between Sein and
Seiendes, and what its role plays in consciousness. This is one of
the fundamental problematics that Derrida has taken over and worked
out (who uses concepts such as différance, khora, écriture, and
others). Basically, the difference is undecidable, and you get into
philosophy of difference. And thus the tremendous role of Heidegger
to postmodern thinking.
                 Anyone interested in Rilke and the tropes he uses should
read the
chapter in Paul de Man, Allegories of Reading, which is precisely on
the topic. De Man reads German, as French and English, and therefore
has some credibility when he writes in English about the tropes Rilke
uses in German, and in his later life, in French.
:-)
Michael