Re: [xmca] Leontiev and Sign (Silverstein and complexes)

Interesting to hear about other's connecections with
Silverstein.  I'm in the Department of Comparative Human
Development (CHD) here at the U of C and spend some of my time
running with the Silverstein circles (I have also taken some
classes from him). RE: Silverstein's work, I agree
wholeheartedly with Jay's characterization of his work as
"difficult to summarize", so I won't try (but if anyone has a
particularly pointed question, I'd be happy to give it a go).
With regard to semiotic mediation, I think that Silverstein's
work is probably too significant of an investment for most
(although it pays substantial "dividends" over the long haul).
A better alternative (and I've mentioned this before in posts
on XMCA) is the work of Silverstein's student, John Lucy (here
in CHD). I think that his work is easier to get into than
Silverstein's and is more directly relevant to the broad issue
of "semiotic mediation" and the perspective of linguistic
relativity. Additionally, his more recent papers have been
looking at issues of development (many articles are available
at his website:
http://home.uchicago.edu/~johnlucy/)

Instead, I'll offer a brief description of the one text of his
(that I am aware of) where he makes reference to Vygotsky
("Vygotskij" is his preferred spelling). His is an interesting
way to put Vygtosky's notion of "complex" to work and speaks
to Mike's suggestion in a previous post that we spend much of
our time thinking in complexes.

It comes in a short monograph: "Talking Politics: The
Substance of Style from Abe to 'W'". The topic is political
talk and is probably one of the most playful and least
theory-ish essays of his. It appears to have been motivated by
the misfortunate language usagings of our most recent two term
president (but note: it isn't (solely) about Bush-bashing, he
is raising a more fundamental question about American politics
as well as the tastes of the electorate).

Silverstein invokes Vygotsky's notion of "complexes" to answer
the following set of questions:
"How does what impresses us as the very height of *illogic*
have a processual 'logic' of its own, such that successful
politicians' discourse respects this logic? And where can we
see these processes at work, where 'issues' get lumped and
turned into 'message'-operators available for stylistic
fashioning of image? How does a politician fashion 'message'
as a kind of magnet for sometimes randomly assembled 'issues,'
that clump to it like iron filings arrayed in its magnetic
field?"

Silverstein says that the notion of "complexes" give us an
answer to this. It is a local similarity of one "message" to
the next that gives the impression of coherence. Any two
"messages" taken in sequence will show a family resemblance
even when the whole lot is very diverse overall. Silverstein
notes that complexive thinking is what characterizes things as
varied as: thinking out loud, casual conversation, and
Anglo-American case law.

So then, it is these "chain complexes" of "issues" that are
"the raw semiotic materials" that are then brought together to
make the image.

Whereas in this essay Silverstein is primarily interested in
the reception-side of things, we might also extend this to the
production side of language by considering some more recent
instances of political talk by the supposed (by some)
successor of the Bush legacy, Sarah Palin. One might be able
to make some sense of her discourse if we take her talk
concept by concept and look at how she puts together a string
of discourse that has "coherence" from one second to the next,
but is utterly incoherent if you look across more than two
seconds of talk (and this reminds me of the Saturday Night
Live episode in which Tina Fey got huge laughs with her Sarah
Palin imitation, lampooning all the incoherences - or so the
audience thought. As it turned out, Fey wasn't lampooning at
all, rather she was simply reproducing Palin's words, word for
word. Big laughs.). But maybe my colleague who works on
schizophrenic language might be able to better speak to the
structure Palin's language.

Hope that was of some interest - at least complexively if not
conceptually.

-greg