Re: [xmca] Consciousness "only a part of the material quality of the man-sign"

Andy,

Donald, whose views I was summarizing, subscribes to what he calls "exuberant materialism" (p. 381). He rejects dualism, "the traditional comfortable separation of mind from the material world." He rejects a "simplistic 'reduction' of mind to matter." His vote goes to what he calls "mental materialism," which seeks "a straight material explanation for mind."

This from the last paragraph of his book: "Our minds function on several phylogenetically new representational planes, none of which are available to animals. We act in cognitive collectivities, in symbiosis with external memory systems. As we develop new external symbolic configurations and modalities, we configure our own mental architecture in nontrivial ways. The third transition has led to one of the greatest reconfigurations of cognitive structure in mammalian history, without major genetic change."

I don't agree with you that to say everything is material is tautological, empty, or meaningless. There are different kinds of matter: different elements, compounds, mixtures, different organisms, artifacts, machines. All are material.

Martin