thread posted RE: [xmca] Learning Sciences / Science of Education

Today somebody did a web search for
Lave's paper "Situating learning in communities of practice" and landed at my "postcog" post at
http://curricublog.wordpress.com/2007/01/28/postcog-curriculum/
In that post, I refer to Lave's article, but I don't have it linked for copyright reasons.
I do have her paper linked now from
https://tw-curricuwiki.wikispaces.com/xmcaLearningSciences#Tony09151929
This is on a page that's just for xmca folks.
Earlier I said I have too much I want to say on topics in this thread to do it in email, so I'd be doing it on a web page just for this group. I'm still working on that, but I'm doing a lot more than originally planned, and I don't know when I'll have it done.

Meanwhile, it seemed that it would be helpful to have the entire thread all in one convenient web page. That's what I have now at the address above with the link to Lave's article. I was intending not to post anything about this page until my response page was also ready; but since somebody was looking for the Lave paper, I thought I'd go ahead and share it now.

Meanwhile, here's a question about another source: In relation to the question about formation vs. production, I'm thinking that a relevant piece would be a paper by Lave & McDermott on Estranged |labour| Learning, which is at
http://www.outlines.dk/contents/Outlines021/Outlines-2002-1-p19-48.pdf
It's also now a chapter in Critical Perspectives on Activity: Explorations Across Education, Work, and Everyday Life (Cambridge University Press). Does anybody have a scanned copy of this? I'm pretty sure I own a copy of the book, but I can't find it now.

Tony Whitson
UD School of Education
NEWARK  DE  19716

twhitson@udel.edu