RE: [xmca] Mandelshtam translation as intellectual tool

Dear colleague--

I found the translation of the following fragment by Mandelshtam (thanks, Achilles) in English inaccurate. Here is my attempt (sorry for possible grammatical errors):

"The most convenient and correct [way of analysis] is to consider the word as an image; that is as a verbal representation. In this way [approach], the question of the form and the content becomes irrelevant:  when the form is viewed as phonetics and the rest as the content. Similarly, the question of what is more primary -- the word's signification or its sounding nature -- becomes irrelevant. The verbal representation is a complex set of phenomena, a connection, a "system". It is possible to consider [view] the word's signification as a candle, lighting [burning] from inside of a paper lantern; and in reverse, the sound representation, or a so-called phoneme, can be placed inside of the [word's] signification, like the very same candle inside the very same [paper] lantern."

PS The Russian word "гореть" has at least two meaning to burn and to light (and even to shine). I think Mandelshtam might use both meanings in his poetic image.

PPS Mandelshtam did not talk about "scientific sense".

Here is my interpretative visualization of Mandelshtam’s metaphor in the last sentence (you have to be in HTML format to see my picture):

 <http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00NMAaiZkyiDoJM/Rice-Paper-Lantern.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/xm-jiasheng/product-detailNMZJiXkypzWO/China-Rice-Paper-Lantern.html&usg=__uox7YFEbUuJOZa8vd--W7WYdrd0=&h=285&w=380&sz=25&hl=en&start=26&tbnid=3YwxnSDffoKzTM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpaper%2Blantern%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20> http://tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:3YwxnSDffoKzTM:http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00NMAaiZkyiDoJM/Rice-Paper-Lantern.jpg                         <http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://z.about.com/d/drawsketch/1/0/U/K/candle.jpg&imgrefurl=http://drawsketch.about.com/od/advancedtipstricks/ss/drawingflame_5.htm&usg=__JZyQtKzFjNr9endGorpTvZE6vkg=&h=500&w=350&sz=69&hl=en&start=12&tbnid=dF27KCMReSSUQM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=91&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcandle%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG> http://tbn3.google.com/images?q=tbn:dF27KCMReSSUQM:http://z.about.com/d/drawsketch/1/0/U/K/candle.jpg

The word’s signification                The sound representation [phoneme]

Значимость слова                        Звуковое представление [фонема]

What do you think?

Eugene

JPEG image

JPEG image