Re: [xmca] Fwd: Translation as Lipogram

Hi David--

Volodya Zinchenko has been writing a lot about, more or less, how Shpet
invented Vygotsky. There is a good deal about this in JREEP. Eugene likes
Bakhtin and does not particularly like Vygotsky (See also JREEP and other of
Eugene's writings including the new book which I have not seen yet).

Me, I am still back on the 1929/30 LSV article which I quoted from and re re
reading Thought and Speech (only in English -- and Russian editions
available to me when you raise warning flags).  I still have not come fully
to grips with social situation of development, neorformation, and a lot of
other key concepts.

I brought around the early LSV formulation because I thought it was
relevant. What caught me in it, eventually, was that LSV was unlike the
neo-behaviorists who thought the triangle was simply sum of its parts). What
is distinctive is the new properties that arise from the new structural
relation.

You are extremely brave and intrepid to keep tackling the divergent
translations trying to figure out the right one while  bringing your dense
experience with language
to the discussion. So far as I can figure out, CH7 of Thought and Speech IS
about
the microgenesis of consciousness-as-culturally mediated action-in-society.
It is a part of the longer story of ontogenesis that encompasses the whole
book but in
a non-linear, cobbled together sort of way. To me it bespeaks tons about LSV
that the book has the structure it does.

I wonder that Eugene does not like ch7. I learn something new from it every
time I read it, and to think that it has different interesting
interpretations via different translators reinforces my feeling that it is
OUR business to make sense of it and to externalize that sense to make
meaning of it in ways appropriate to our own, troubled, times.
mike