Re: [xmca] On Marxist and non-Marxist aspects of the cultural-historical psychology of L.S. Vygotsky by Nikolai Veresov

I thank both David and Mike for their remarks.

I joined xmca to learn on Vygotsky rather than to propagate or emphasize any
approach to Vygotsky :) (It seems obvious that m in xmca should = Mind
rather than Marxism)

I do not know if this theme may be uninteresting for or unnecessarily
occupying the group, but we can discontinue it any time.

I would like to mention some further points. But this does not mean any aim
for insistingly emphasizing the place of Marxism in  Vygostsky's theory.
Below remarks are just for sharing ideas. I felt them necessary to mention
against any misunderstanding which I saw may be caused by David's some
remarks. I would like , if possible, have responses about correctness of
my reasoning about them.

1. "Vygotsky called himself a Marxist when it was NOT mandatory, during the
period immediately following the Civil War. But he stopped calling his
psychology Marxist when it became virtually compulsory to do so".

Well this statement seems to me confusing. The reason is briefly as follows:
When you state it in this way, it comes to an idea almost which means
"Vygotsky rejected or gave up Marxism". Am I wrong?

- We know that "when it became virtually compulsory to do so" Vygotsky 's
work is full of Marxism. Isn't this correct? But he refrains to call his
psychology to be Marxist. I think, for those who are familiar with
Vygotsky's "Historical Crisis", the reasons stated there by him for not
calling his psychology Marxist, his specific reasons are clear why he does
not call it Marxist. Aren't they?

I will only cite two things:

- He is against any easy establishment of equality between psychology and
Marxism. He sees irresponsible, uncarelessness here at his time on this
relationship. In contrast, he says "psychology can only be Marxist, any
other psychology can't be thought" etc. Also, is it not a big courage "at a
time when it was compulsory to do so" not to call any psychology in Soviet
Union Marxist, not only his own one. I underline this point: He does not
only call the level attained of his psychology Marxist, but also he rejects
any psychology in Soviet Union at that time to call Marxist.

- Is it not clear that Kornilov's psychology = Marxism, this unsuccessful
attempt, taught him a lot about psychology - Marxism relationship. This
attempt seems to be somehow " hot milk  " for him. He saw that  pscyhology
does not become Marxist by only calling it Marxist.

Finally, to be Marxist and to call a branch of science at any given moment
Marxist are two different things. Sometimes, you may not call any given
state of a science "Marxist" not because you are not Marxist anymore, but
because that level attained does not deserve to be called Marxist in your
eyes (I remember that there should be some mention in again "Historical
Crisis" about this whether psychology's current status in 1930s deserves to
be called Marxist or not)

To sum up, these remarks about David's above statement do not arise from an
idea of insistence for Vygotsky - Marxism relationship but rather that the
statement is open to confusion in my eyes for the above reasons.

2. About the analogy with Trotsky's fellow travellers. First, as far as I
remember, this description was made by him for some intellectuals who did
not participate in Russian revolution but in some way or another they
admitted it.

Why Marxists should be fellow travelers for psychology which investigates
the man but non fellow ones for history, political economy? :)

I will not try to ask or try to prove historical prestige for Marxism. But,
after nearly more than one century of theoretical and practical work,
a science, like pscyhology, owes so much to a man in whose theory Marxism
possesses a core place- a man whose name deserves probably to be the founder
of the modern science of psychology in the future if not yet so - why then
to proclaim Marxism fellow traveler for this science?

I understand the reasons for current unpopularity for this theory who fed
Vygotsky's own. But I believe that today's and future theoreticians - I do
not point anybody as a person, but I intend to point to the effect itself -
in this area should emancipate their *minds* from the traumas caused in
1930s in Soviet Union.

These adverse traumatic and psychological effects..I think they should be
got rid of if there is any...

For this, there is really a genuine example: Lev Vygotsky himself and his
work.

If he has arisen his voice against bad effects of a non creative Marxism on
the science of psychology at a time when it was almost impossible to do so,
why should not his followers to do it at a time when it is very easy to do
while to get use of a creative Marxism which was also obviously quite useful
for Vygotsky's theory.

Ulvi

About the analogy David established between Marxists and psychology, similar
to the one of Trotsky used for Russian artists' relationship to Bolshevik
Party