Re: [xmca] Helena on Negotiating Knowledge

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Thu Dec 18 2008 - 23:32:44 PST

Paul,

I will not think of responding to the questions about
Helena's paper, but just briefly in relation to "need." I
just saw for the first time, ANL's footnote to AC&P:

"Such restricted understanding of motive as that object
(material or ideal) that evokes and directs activity toward
itself differs from the generally accepted understanding;
but this is not the place to enter into polemics on the
question."

Yes, of course. I have tended to try to interpret the
"object" as a state of affairs or the resolution of a
problem. All of which is fine, but I still think it is
insufficient.

I presume that Leontyev's ideas can be traced back to Marx's
comments about human needs, as in the 1844 Manuscripts
particularly, though the observations that you quote as
well. Also, Engstrom did resolve some of the difficulties in
ANL's thinking that I am criticising. What I want to do
though is to appropriate Hegel more directly for Activity
Theory.

Andy