Re: [xmca] Helena on Negotiating Knowledge

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Dec 18 2008 - 23:09:33 PST

Andy,

Could you explain to me the difference between "producing knowledge" as the  object of an activity system, and "learning" as the transformation of an activity system (Engestrom's interp. as I understand it).  I have been trying figure that out in relation to Helena's paper.

This is also related to the following:   What is the difference between Fig. 2 and Fig. 3?  Where are the  contradictions in the activity system, i.e.,  lev 1 or 2 in terms of Engestrom's model that produce the "need", generate the double  bindf, etc.?  I've laid them out side by side and can't find them.

This goes to the motive/project discussion about "need".  As I understand it, a need is the awareness of a problem that "needs to be resolved" with respect to some activity.  Marx's discussion of photography (writing in 1860) as the generator of
 new needs or how thieves are productive workers because they generate a need for locks, cops, etc. are important.

Paul

Paul