Re: [xmca] Re: the Strange Situation

From: Martin Packer <packer who-is-at duq.edu>
Date: Fri Oct 24 2008 - 09:11:00 PDT

Colin,

I think your point that it should be a *system* of concepts is an excellent
one. I'd like to add my own correction to what I wrote: I should have said
that people *think together,* not individually, with a system of concepts.

Recently I've been singing the praises (to students and colleagues) of Chuck
Goodwin's work. He has an article titled (punningly) Seeing in Depth. He
travlled with a disparate group of scientists on a boat surveying the ocean
at the mouth of the Amazon river. The scientists each had a different
research interest and were from multiple disciplines. They needed to
collaborate because hiring a boat is expensive, and the all used a device
with multiple instruments which they lowered to the ocean floor. They needed
to see where this device was, partly to avoid losing it in sediment, partly
to make measurements at specific depths. They accomplished the task of
seeing the depth of the device collaboratively, using technologies a varied
as winches and computer displays. Goodwin explores how multiple spaces (the
sea itself, screen, chart, deck, the workspace of the lab) are constituted
in the practical activities of scientists and crew. He demonstrates that
their cognition as "a historically-constituted, socially situated process"
in which seeing done together, though each person involved sees the place
they are looking at together in a different way.

So, seeing together. Perception framed by systems of representation which
are embodied in the tools and technologies, as well as in the practical
skills of the participants.

Martin