Re: [xmca] The Strange Situation

From: <ERIC.RAMBERG who-is-at spps.org>
Date: Thu Oct 23 2008 - 08:59:02 PDT

thank you for clarifying michael, is it dialectic to state that children
encompass the infinitude of possibilities? within their actions is every
gamut of life, this I believe to be the beauty, the romance of studying
human development. in your thinking is it correct to state that infinity
is the beginning that arrives at zero and then takes off again towards
infinity? It has been some time since I read spinoza but I believe much of
his philosophy holds this thinking within it. Could you provide examples
of what messages are non-dialectic. your view is greatly appreciated, eric

                      Wolff-Michael
                      Roth To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
                      <mroth@uvic.ca> cc:
                      Sent by: Subject: Re: [xmca] The Strange Situation
                      xmca-bounces@web
                      er.ucsd.edu

                      10/23/2008 10:30
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to "eXtended
                      Mind, Culture,
                      Activity"

See, I am not saying EVERY discourse is like this, but many
"developmental" discourses are deficit laden. Look the Piagetian,
take any discourse where children's thinking is taken as lesser, as
defective, which is fixed.
             Take children's thinking in its own right, as constitutive of

society, not as lesser, but as one of the very ingredients of society
as it is.
             Children's thinking doesn't need fixing, then. Children's
development, as one of the teachers I quote at length in one or
several works says, "is inevitable". Though this does not prevent him
doing work similar to a gardener, tending, watering, etc.
             A developmental approach that does not recognize children's
thinking
as the ground, tool, and material, does not know what it is talking
about or taking some approach that does not account for development.
             I can see in many messages non-dialectical writing/thinking,
which I
take to be inconsistent with LSV, though he is struggling, too, and
we are struggling with his struggling texts. :-)
have a nice day.
WMR