Re: [xmca] More Problems With Chapter Two

From: David Kellogg <vaughndogblack who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 22:59:57 PDT

Dear Anton:

Thanks for your patient, painstaking and very professional textological exegesis.

a) I agree that "the former" is a possible translation for "prima" and it makes sense here. The problem then becomes how FAR BACK the word "prima/former" refers. If it refers to the beginning of the quote (as I think it must) it makes sense: directed thought is mentioned before undirected (autistic) thought. I also agree that Minick's translation (changing "the former" into "rational/directed thought") is clearer.

b) I'm checking everything against the original of Piaget's book "Language and Thought of the Child". The strange thing is that the Kozulin/Hanfmann and Vakar translation, so inadequate in others ways (e.g. see point d] below) has got "Hans Larsson" on p. 17.

c.1) Agreed; I'm ordering the original 1928 Piaget to check it. But it makes PERFECT sense in context: the passage is refers to "fabulation" which is about lies and not about lives or even "mysl".

c.2) Yes, the source of the problem is probably the Russian translation of Piaget's book. All the more reason for professionalism in translation, something that is not always in evidence even with professional translators. Still we will do what we can!

c.3) Yes, but Minick doesn't try to re-translate into English the translation of the French into the Russian. He just uses 1959 Marjorie and Ruth Gabain translation.

d) I very much LIKE to be able to read the passage on p. 62 the way that you do (and I wonder if it really DOES read that way in Russian). But I can't! The English sentence is "It is of particular interestthat biologically oriented thoeries, in particular that of Bleuler who developed the theory of autistic thinking, have reached THIS SAME CONCLUSION" (capitals mine of course). And THIS SAME CONCLUSION can't refer back to the topic sentence of the paragraph; it has to refer back to the immediately preceding sentence which clearly says that the pleasure principle precedes the reality principle.

But that's exactly what Bleuler DOESN'T say in the rest of the section: on the contrary, he says (p. 63) that "the autistic function is not as primitive as the more simple forms of the reality function" (emphasis his). Now in fact Bleuler's analysis is quite complex: there are four early forms of the reality function (shared with animals) and autistic thinking emerges only at the fourth stage, after which it develops in parallel with realistic thinking (a point which Vygotsky has to dispute, because for example in role play we find both autistic and realistic thinking, and role play is intimately connected to rule based play).

I think that Vygotsky's point is that when Bleuler abandons the psychoanalytic concept of "autism" (pleasure principle based, including schizophrenia and egoism) and adopts a more general definition of "irrealism" (of which pathological autism is only one variety) he makes it possible to say BOTH that realism comes first (because the most primitive forms of realistic thinking DO come before irrealistic thinkign) AND that irrealism comes first (because autistic thinking is "more primitive in several respects than the higher forms of the reality function as developed in man [p. 63]").

That's what he means when he says "this change in the designation of autistic thinking, though perhaps necessary, masks an important change in the content of the concept itself (p. 62)." But it's VERY badly expressed here, at least in English. It looks for all the world like Vygotsky's saying that Bleuler has a position which is "the same conclusion" as Freud and Piaget.

Interestingly (and rather scandalously) Kozulin/Hanfmann and Vakar simply cut the knot instead of trying to untangle it. They have this, at the BEGINNING of the next paragraph (rather than the END of the previous one):

"It is quite remarkable that it was a biologically oriented psychologist, Eugen Bleuler, who developed a critique of the aforementioned concept of child autism."

It is obviously the same sentence, and it does indeed say what Vygotsky then has Bleuler saying. But it doesn't say what VYGOTSKY says!

David Kellogg
Seoul National University of Education