Re: [xmca] Interesting looking journal

From: deborah downing-wilson <ddowningw who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 14:20:02 PDT

I would venture a guess....evolution theorists are struggling with how to
think about culture. meme theory, extended gene theory, niche construction
theory...all have proven helpful but inadequate. Culture can be subsumed
under "evolutionary psychology" by using the well-worn "at very least it
must be allowed by our biology". culture can't account for biology so
simply.

deb

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 1:04 PM, David Preiss <davidpreiss@uc.cl> wrote:

> Hmmm. Curious that they deleted the culture word in the title. Why it is
> that evolutionary psychologists need to get rid of culture? Most of early
> evolutionary thinkers, and I am thinking here of classic sociologists and
> anthropologists, saw culture as an interesting issue to think about from an
> evolutionary perspective and maybe because of it they are still interesting.
> Was Durkheim an evolutionary thinker, for instance? Or where all the social
> progress theorists, evolutionary? When these evolutionary guys would
> understand that getting rid of culture does not solve the issue... and that
> culture is still there asking interesting questions to be addressed. Wonder
> if Darwin said something about culture, explicitly.
> dp
>
> David Preiss, Ph.D.
> Subdirector de Extensión y Comunicaciones
> Escuela de Psicología
> Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
> Av Vicuña Mackenna - 4860
> 7820436 Macul
> Santiago, Chile
>
> Fono: 3544605
> Fax: 3544844
> e-mail: davidpreiss@uc.cl
> web personal: http://web.mac.com/ddpreiss/
> web institucional: http://www.epuc.cl/profesores/dpreiss
>

> On Sep 21, 2008, at 1:53 PM, Mike Cole wrote:
>
> Check out this website. A journal of evolutionary psychology that used to
>> be
>> called a journal of cultural
>> and evolutionary psych. And note the modest price!
>> mike
>>
>> http://www.akademiai.com/content/120852/

Deborah Downing Wilson
Laboratory for Comparative Human Cognition
University of California San Diego