Re: [xmca] Thoughts on ISCAR.... disappearing

From: Carol Macdonald <carolmacdon who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 22 2008 - 12:23:57 PDT

Mike,

My gmail routinely puts you into my spam box, so I only catch what you say
when somebody replies. This is irritating in the *extreme*. Is there any
remedy for this that any of my learned colleagues know of? I nearly missed
your message about thinking through ISCAR, which is imperative since we
missed nuggets of gold from each other. There was a good spirit though, I
felt.

Carol

2008/9/22 Goncu, Artin <goncu@uic.edu>

> Thank you, Mike. This is very helpful for those of us who were not able
> to attend the meeting. I am very interested in hearing more about these
> insights such as attributions to activity theory.. ag
>

> On Sun, September 21, 2008 5:39 pm, Mike Cole wrote:
> > Having been buffeted by events leading up to and surrounding
> > ISCAR, and then having disappeared for a week, I am just starting
> > to get near catching up with myself.... and xmca.
> >
> > I went first to the polling page to see if we are done voting for a paper
> > discuss
> > and of course found that the page that is there allows you to read
> > abstracts, but not
> > vote.... again. The lchc gremlin was busy while I was away. I will go
> > hunting for anti-gremlin
> > ointment in the morning; then we can finish up the voting and get on to
> > discussing.
> >
> > I note Jonna's comments re the stimulating nature of the meetings and the
> > frustrations of
> > coinciding talks and uneven attendance. One of my big frustrations was
> > that
> > I was teaching
> > part time at another uc campus while ISCAR was going on and had one big
> > non-ISCAR evening
> > event to worry about and ended up being able to talk to too few of the
> > people I really was hoping
> > to have a chance to talk to and missed several talks I wanted to hear. I
> > assume everyone experienced
> > some version of those problems too.
> >
> > I do not think I am alone in being interested in what people found most
> > interesting at the meeting. Might those
> > who attended put up a few "favorite ideas encountered" since no one could
> > take it all in and many on xmca
> > where not there.
> >
> > For example.
> >
> > In the discussion of social construction of CHAT, Volodya Zinchenko
> > commented that in his experience, in the
> > dance of activity and culture, too often activity gobbled up culture,
> > that
> > there was something "aggressive" about
> > activity (or activity theory, not sure which). I was not sure to what
> > extent
> > this reflected his experience in the USSR
> > and since in Russia. But upon reflection, I could see how this might seem
> > the case in my own interest in
> > interventionist strategies of research. A crucial issue in such research
> > is
> > to organize it so that one is in the position
> > of mediator, not "I know the right answer, do this" agent. Very difficult
> > arrange for.
> >
> > Another interesting thought was evoked by Alex Kozulin's talk on
> > psychological tools and education which had a title something like "the
> > idea
> > factory" (at least factory was in the title). Yrjo was a commentator and
> > he
> > remarked on the Taylorist implications of the factory metaphor, but what
> [...]

Visiting Researcher,
Wits School of Education
6 Andover Road
Westdene