Re: [xmca] US discovers capitalism doesn't work

From: Jorge Fernando Larreamendy Joerns <jlarream who-is-at uniandes.edu.co>
Date: Sat Sep 20 2008 - 16:13:37 PDT

Hi, all,
I've been taken by Martin's analysis of the situation in the US. I
guess that it's fair to say that debts have been for a long time a
commodity. What made the difference this time, which is something that
Martin points to but that I'd like to stress, was the utterly lack of
control on the government's part on financial practices that are, in
and of themselves, highly risky. The damage has been, of course,
global, as the losses in retirement funds all over the world suggest.
Seen that way, what is at stakes in a matter of ideological
commitments about how the economy works and what the role of
governments should be.

Jorge Larreamendy

Jorge Larreamendy-Joerns
Profesor Asociado y Director