Re: [xmca] LPGA to GOP

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Sat Sep 06 2008 - 16:52:20 PDT

I'd be very interested to hear more from our expers on
communication on this list about what exactly it is that
those speakers are doing. Is it "emotions rather than
substance"? or "ethno-symbolism using cultural memory"?

I was taught in my in very many ways problematic trotskyist
political education *not* to whip up that kind of warlike
feeling, and that clapping and cheering at rallies was wrong
and that speakers should not speak so as to encourage it.
Even as a union organiser, I *mostly* discouraged that kind
of war-footing, though I admit, it is was always difficult
to launch a strike without something of the kind, *after*
the vote had been taken. But never as part of a
decision-making process.

It is something about moving what someone called the "frame"
into a war footing, with only friends and enemies, no
nuances, no doubts, no need for thinking or hesitation or
indecision. I find it quite chilling to watch. At any moment
you feel they could start tar-and-feathering or lynching
someone, and it is hard to see what Guiliani or someone
would say if that happened. How would he change to say:
"Hold on a minute, I didn't actually mean that we should
start stringing the Democrats up"?

Andy