Re: [xmca] Social Situation of Development.Continued

From: Andy Blunden <ablunden who-is-at mira.net>
Date: Sat Jun 28 2008 - 17:58:26 PDT

Mike,
For sure the child is part of the Social Situation of
Development (SSD), and the SSD is "both inside and outside"
the child. But this still leaves a couple of big issues.

We are not talking about a "social situation" in general,
but the child and his social relations under a very specific
concept, viz., the "situation", or "predicament" that the
child is in. In pt 2 v5 LSV on a number of cases uses the
term "emancipation." So what we have is some kind of logic
of a struggle for emancipation, which confronts a series of
"situations" or predicaments, which define the central line
of development for that age level. This "situation" is the
"essence" (in terms of The Pheneomenology, or "notion" in
terms of The Logic) of the child (i.e., as a member of a
human ensemble) at that point. The child is the subject of
this relation; it is the child which takes the active
position in every situation; without the child's
dissatisfaction with the situation and her striving to
emancipate themself from it, no development will occur; we
would have pathology.

Put in terms I have raised earlier on this list, the child's
development is a project, a subject, of which the child is
the individual, but their own body is the relevant key
artefact which is being fashioned in the process and is the
center of our conception of this project as a "system of
activity," and the relations between the way in which the
child's needs are met and the child's psychological (and
biological) capacities are the particular. "Gestalt" is the
same thing, though we have a nesting of Gestalten here, as
the child remains, also, an individual in a community, their
particular social relations within a larger division of
labour and cultural traditions, etc., and the cultural
constellation of the community mediate every relation of the
  child.

The SSD with its central line of development, does not
exhaust the multiplicity of lines of development going on at
the same time. This logical problem is the same one which
leads us to call very different countries "capitalist" or
"industrialised." LSV's thesis is that there is one
activity, at any given point in the child's development,
which leads all the others, although at the same time
resting on those others. But I think this text in Vol 5 of
his CW represents an attempt to form a coherent concept of
child development, which means getting to the essence of
just one line of development at just one age level. This
concept is the child's predicament and their striving to
emancipate themselves from it and the specific psychological
function that matures as a result of this striving.

Andy