[xmca] Social Situation of Development.Continued

From: Mike Cole <lchcmike who-is-at gmail.com>
Date: Sat Jun 28 2008 - 16:36:06 PDT

I am responding to the thread on the concept of SSD a while back which
was contributed to by Elina and Bella. I am unsure of how best to position
this contribution, as a response to that thread or to continue it as a new
note
because the message string became very long (as well as worthwhile) but
I wanted to inquire into an early part of it. So this is an attempt to short
circuit
that process and see if it leads to mischief in recovering the meaning.

Andy began by asking whether LSV had in mind the use of situation in the
sense
of a problematic situation (which Bella took to mean negative, but it could
be positive--
e.g., I really want to eat a ripe apricot from the tree in back yard right
now but its so
juicy I would have to stop typing, but I am really anxious to get this
thought out. Two
haystacks, so to speak). In reply, Elina wrote:

Andy:

> So would I be right Elina in thinking that Vygotsky has in mind something
> like a new relationship or arrangement of functions in the personality, a
> kind of new "configuration" of the whole? rather than a new function or
> ability appearing as an additional element of the whole?

Elina:
I believe so, at least it is my understanding, the development of new
psychological function leads to a QUALITATIVE transformation of the whole
system of relationships in the previously acquired functions.

Maybe "configuration" is better than "formation." There is a lot of debate
about how best top translate the German word "Gestalt" into English, and I
have heard people say that "Configuration" or "formation" is better than
"whole" which is now the usual translation in psychology. This is what is
being referred to isn't it, a new "Gestalt"?

I believe Vygotsky distinguished lower and higher psychological functions
in their origins, structure, the way of functioning and the relation to
other psychological functions.

> So would I be right Elina in thinking that Vygotsky has in mind something
> like a new relationship or arrangement of functions in the personality, a
> kind of new "configuration" of the whole? rather than a new function or
> ability appearing as an additional element of the whole?

I believe so, at least it is my understanding, the development of new
psychological function leads to a QUALITATIVE transformation of the whole
system of relationships in the previously acquired functions.

Maybe "configuration" is better than "formation." There is a lot of debate
about how best top translate the German word "Gestalt" into English, and I
have heard people say that "Configuration" or "formation" is better than
"whole" which is now the usual translation in psychology. This is what is
being referred to isn't it, a new "Gestalt"?

I believe Vygotsky distinguished lower and higher psychological functions
in their origins, structure, the way of functioning and the relation to
other psychological functions. By origins, most of the lower mental
functions are genetically inherited, by structure they are unmediated, by
functioning they are involuntary, and they are isolated from other
functions. Higher psychological function is socially acquired, mediated,
voluntarily controlled and exists as a relationship in a system of functions
rather than as an isolated element.
I am not an expert in Gestalt psychology, but I believe there is a claim
that some universal structural laws are innate for human perception. If this
is true, then it would be wrong to use the concept of Gestalt in reference
to higher psychological functions.

1. Andy-- Does your question about a "new function or ability" require and
either/or answer? I am having trouble figure out what it would mean for
understanding the process of change if it consisted of nothing other/more
than rearrangements of what was already there. Perhaps the answer resides
in the level of analysis, e.g. molecules are "nothing more" than
arrangements of
atoms and no new atoms have appeared (is this true?) since the big bang.

Another way to come at this question would be to restrict ourselves to
higher/
culturally mediated, psychological functions. In that case, it seems that
the answer
would be "both/and." There is biological maturation (under environmental
conditions
that are themselves culturally conditioned) that enables the formation of
new, higher,
psychological functions. The acquisition of the ability to read might be
taken as an example of this process;
it requires both the maturation of various brain structures and culturally
mediated practices that serve
to coordinate them with each other and culturally evolved graphic signs so
that they become meaningful
in a new way resulting in and enabling new, other, higher psychological
functions.

2. Elina -- I thought your formulation of the "natural/cultural" lines was
really interesting and it got me to
wondering. When you write:
By origins, most of the lower mental
functions are genetically inherited, by structure they are unmediated, by
functioning they are involuntary, and they are isolated from other
functions.

I am wondering about all three parts of this nice summary. On the one hand,
this makes me think I am simply
repeating LSV without knowing it when I write about modularity and context,
arguing for the interweaving of the two over the course of ontogeny. As
ordinarily conceived, modules are isolated from each other, inherited, and
impervious to experience. Wouldn't be odd to find Fodor and Vygotsky in the
same configuration(so to speak)!!?

3. Andy/David et al. -- The child is part of the SSD, as I understand LSV.
But at the same time, there is the idea of neoformations arising when a
child is confronted with a new SSD. I feel like I need some sort of field
reorganization to get my mind around both of these ideas at the same time!!

(Apologies if this note is out of order and the answers lie somewhere in the
mail that accumulated during my week's absence from email).